Monday, February 7, 2011

Formula Fed?

So when I started blogging again, I intended on blogging daily about what God was saying to me in my quiet time or throughout the day. We can see how well that has been working lol. I have been so busy that I just write in my journal and don't have time to write on here too. Well here is attempt number 2 at writing on here daily. I have been reading in Hebrews for the past few weeks during my quiet time and I really feel like God is speaking to me through this book. Today I read Hebrews 5:11-14, which says, "About this we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil." I think the writer of Hebrews (who was thought to be Paul) was saying he has a lot to say still but it will be hard to say because they (we) don't listen. I think he is saying by now in our walk with Christ, we should be teaching others but instead many of us are still learning the basics of the gospel. The Message puts it this way, "Yet here I find you need someone to sit down with you and go over the basics on God again, starting from square one--baby's milk." How many of us have ever felt this way? Like we have been a Christian for so long yet we still find ourselves going back to the basics over and over again? God wants us to be growing in our learning and understanding of Him. The only way this is possible is through His Word and prayer. It goes on to basically say that milk is for beginners in faith, the ones who are unskilled in God's ways. Solid food is for the mature it says, the ones who understand and practice the differences between wrong and right. So are we still being fed baby formula in God's eyes or are we eating solid food and learning more and more about the God of the universe daily? I think we can all feel like we are still on the baby food sometimes when we are having a bad day or when we become complacent in our Christianity. I think a lot of times when we stop digging into God's Word daily and stop spending time with Him, we do have to start back at square one. I hope that we can all say that we are taking in solid food and getting closer and closer to Christ everyday.
I hope we can all be teachers of God's Word to others and not just learners of the basics. I believe we will always be learners because there is always more to learn about God's Word but we should get to a point as Christians where we can teach the formula fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment